Full of sweet potato flavor, this delicious pie will be a hit at your next holiday meal.
- 1 1/4 Cup flour (all purpose)
- 1/4 Teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 Cup milk non-fat
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup sugar white
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt low-sodium
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 Eggs large; beaten
- 1/4 Cup Evaporated Milk non-fat (canned)
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Cups Sweet Potatos cooked, skin removed and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1. Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
- 2. Add milk and oil to the flour mixture.
- 3. Stir with fork until well mixed and then form pastry into a smooth ball with your hands.
- 4. Roll the ball between two 12 inch squares of waxed paper using short, brisk, strokes until pastry reaches edge of paper.
- 5. Peel off top paper and invert crust into pie plate.
- 1. Combine sugars, salt, spices and eggs.
- 2. Add milk and vanilla. Stir.
- 3. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
- 4. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- 5. Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 6. Cool and cut into 16 slices.
Source: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style, p.24-25
Share this Recipe