Enjoy this side dish for a Thanksgiving treat or anytime yams are in season.
- 1 1/2 cups yams
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp orange peel
- 1/3 tbsp margarine soft, unsalted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of sliced yams in medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Source: US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style.
Share this Recipe