Use the same delicious batter to make either cookies or a cake.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter or shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce unsweetened
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup nuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare pan or cookie sheet (see below).
- Cream together sugar, shortening and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Stir flour mixture into shortening mixture just until moist.
- Add applesauce, raisins, and nuts (if using).
- For Cookies: Drop dough by heaping teaspoon several inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. For Cake: Bake at 350 degrees in an 8 inch x 8 inch pan for 40 minutes.
To check cake for doneness, pierce top of cake with a toothpick. Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean.
Source: USDA Recipes
Share this Recipe